This one is for the guys. And if you’re reading this and you’re not a guy, take note for the men in your life, because they have hair and they want to care for it and keep it the same as all of us. Don't let your hair disappear into thin air. We can share good haircare!
We are all about embracing the hair we are given, straight hair, curly hair, blonde, dark, the rare red! Genetics is a wonder and we arrive into the world assigned with a certain type of hair. Sometimes it ends up in places where we don’t want it, other times we have masses of the good stuff streaming from our scalps. Whatever you were endowed with is what you have to work with. So, make the most of it.
How you care for your hair matters. If there is one thing we all have in common, it’s a close and personal relationship with our hair, and it’s important to foster a good one. Men in particular face a greater risk of hair loss than women, for a variety of reasons. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, more than 50% of all men over the age of 50 will be affected by Androgenic Alopecia (or male pattern baldness).
Androgenic alopecia is a common form of hair loss in both men and women. While women may not be affected with this particular type of hair loss until after menopause, men with this condition can begin suffering hair loss in their teens and early twenties. A pivotal time. So how can we hang on to the hair we have? It all starts with healthy haircare habits.
- Defend your hair. Wet hair can lead to more breakage – when hair is wet the hair shaft swells, making it more elastic and easier to break. So it’s important to protect hair before you shower, swim or sweat. AQUIS Water Defense PreWash applied to dry hair before showering or any activity where it’s going to get wet will help protect hair from water damage and maintain integral strength.
- Easy on the suds. Over washing is easy to do when you’re working out and feel the need to wash your hair after every run or trip to the gym. Over-washing and harsh shampoos can strip hair of natural oils leaving it dry, dull-looking and vulnerable. AQUIS Rebalancing Hair Wash uses a gentle, non-stripping formula that cleanses hair while maintaining an optimum pH balance of 4.5-5.5 for both hair and scalp. Wash hair every 2-3 days and massage shampoo into hair in a circular motion to stimulate circulation and remove dead skin cells.
- Detox for healthy hair. As the hair growth cycle weakens, follicles shrink and go dormant, and hair falls out. It’s important to keep hair follicles clear, healthy, and uninhibited to promote healthy hair growth. Every 3-4 shampoos replace your hair wash with Detoxifying Hair & Scalp Wash to help lift away dead skin, and product buildup that can clog hair follicles, it also lifts away mineral residue left behind from hard water.
- Be friction free. Ditch the cotton towels. The open loops of cotton on your standard bath towel snag at raised hair cuticles, you may as well be dragging sandpaper across your fragile hair and doing serious damage in the process. AQUIS Hair Towels and Turbans are made of Aquitex, a technical fabric that wicks water from hair at the point of contact in the same way your sports clothing wicks sweat from your body, and in half the time of cotton. Works well on your beard too! Enough said.
- Maintain moisture. In-shower conditioners trap water in hair and cause damage. Go straight to the Restorative Leave-In Conditioning Serum to restore natural moisture to your hair and beard after cleansing. This lightweight leave-in defines natural texture without weighing hair down and it helps maintain a healthy pH while controlling frizz.
Other good practices, such as a healthy diet, exercise, and minimizing stress will promote and stimulate healthy hair growth. Take great care of your natural born hair and it will stick around for the long haul.
cover photo by @albertolopezphoto via Twenty20